An extension to file is not an extension to pay your tax!

May 01, 2018 by Selena Quintanilla
Tax Extension

In order to avoid a failure-to-pay penalty, it’s important to file your tax return by the filing deadline − even if you can’t pay what you owe in full. This is because an extension to file is just that: an extension to file your tax return, not an extension to make payments toward a tax liability.

While this year’s tax deadline has come and gone, below are some tips to keep in mind for future tax seasons.

Be prepared. If you generally enlist help from a tax professional, this could be as simple as sitting down with them to discuss your projected tax liability. If you self-prepare, most tax software companies provide online tax calculators free of charge. An estimate, however rough, will provide you with an idea of how much you should start saving or having withheld from your paychecks today.

File by the deadline and pay as much as possible. If you have the required documentation and are ready to submit a completed tax return, you are encouraged to do so. Additionally, if you can afford even a minuscule payment toward your liability, you should pay what you can. The IRS accepts payment by phone, check, money order, or online.

Pay the tax with a credit card. If you have the funds available on your credit card, you can choose to pay your tax via this method. A bank or credit union may charge less in interest and fees than the IRS – be sure to take a moment to compare the rates!

Take advantage of the IRS Online Payment Agreement tool. The IRS encourages you to initiate a payment plan prior to receiving a billing statement. Payment plans can be set up on the IRS website, via their Online Payment Agreement tool. An Installment Agreement Request can also be filed with a completed tax return, and a direct debit agreement can be elected to eliminate the necessity of sending a check each month.

Don't disregard a tax bill. Dismissing communication from the IRS is one of the most damaging actions you can take. Failure to respond to contacts from the agency may end in the IRS taking collection action against you. You or your representative can call the number listed on the tax bill to discuss available billing options. Speaking to an examiner may be uncomfortable, but the IRS is generally willing to work with taxpayers suffering from financial hardship.

If the you have any concerns regarding your tax bill, you can exercise your right to retain representation. It’s a good idea to consult with a professional before agreeing to pay money you are not sure you owe.

Do you owe money to the IRS or State?

Get Professional Help Now!



Selena Quintanilla, CTEC
Communications Associate


Selena Quintanilla is a Communications Associate at TaxAudit, and a California Tax Education Council (CTEC) registered tax professional. She is now on a mission to bring clarity and comprehensibility to a topic that keeps us all up at night at least once a year-TAXES! Please, send coffee! 


Recent Articles

Tax Returns, plant, and $100 bills laying on a desk
What happens if your spouse overstated the deductions claimed on the return or substantially understated the income?  Are you still liable for the tax due?
wedding cake split with man on one side and woman on the other
Alimony payments may indeed be tax deductible if the divorce or separation instrument under which they are made was executed prior to 2019.
Double Taxation written on notepad
Most states that have income taxes offer a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income, although how that credit is calculated is not identical.
File Cabinet with Documents
IRS notice CP05A is sent by the IRS to inform taxpayers that they need more information about the submitted income tax return before a tax refund can be issued.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.