I sold my house but can’t find my original closing cost statement

April 02, 2020 by David E. Du Val, EA
Closing Cost Analysis Statement

I bought the house in 1998. I just sold it in June, 2019. Long story made short, I cannot find my original closing cost statement dated November 1998. How do I find it? I also don't remember the original lender and I have refinanced twice. The info is needed for my tax returns 2019. Please stay safe and healthy. The most important aspect of living. My thoughts are with you. 



You are smart to try to obtain a copy of your closing statement of your home purchase in prior years. Many people try to guess the amount and use that for their taxes. If they are ever audited, this would not likely work out well for them.

In your case, you should start by contacting the settlement agent for the purchase of the home. Depending on how long they retain their records, they should be able to supply you with a copy of your settlement documents. Other parties that may have copies of the settlement documents include your real estate agent, the seller's real estate agent, the mortgage broker, the financial institution that holds/held the loan for the property, or the seller himself.

If you are unable to obtain the settlement papers from any of the parties listed above, you will need to reconstruct the transaction and estimate the amounts from whatever evidence you can gather. Examples of where you can obtain a number are from bank records, emails/correspondence, old property tax bills, or any other documentation involving the purchase or value of your home.

Thank you for your concerns. And, you too should stay safe.

Deductibly Yours,



David E. Du Val, EA
Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco


Dave Du Val, EA, is Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco. Inc., the parent company of TaxAudit, and Centenal Tax Group. A nationally recognized speaker and educator, Dave is well known for his high energy and dynamic presentation style. He is a frequent and popular guest speaker for the California Society of Tax Consultants, the California Society of Enrolled Agents and the National Association of Tax Professionals. Dave frequently contributes tax tips and information to news publications, including US News and World Report, USA Today, and CPA Practice Advisor. Dave is an Enrolled Agent who has prepared thousands of returns during his career and has trained and mentored hundreds of tax professionals. He is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, the National Association of Enrolled Agents and the California Society of Enrolled Agents. Dave also holds a Master of Arts in Education and has been educating people since 1972. 


Recent Articles

Stack of books, graduation hat, and rolled up diploma
There are some tax-saving opportunities available for graduate school tuition, like the credits for undergraduate expenses. They each have some limitations.
Woman Reading Letter
The IRS sends out a CP14 notice to notify a taxpayer when they have unpaid taxes and/or penalties and interest. What should you do if you get a CP14?
Woman Shopping for Over the Counter Medications
When it comes to medications, you can only deduct the amounts that you pay for medicines or drugs that have been prescribed for you by a doctor.
April 2023 Calendar with Tax Day written on April 18th
In 2023 the tax returns are due April 18th for most taxpayers. However, if you live in California, Alabama, or Georgia your taxes may be due at a later date.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.