Should we move back into our rental home before we sell it?

August 27, 2014 by Dave Du Val, EA
Woman holding house keys

Hey Dave,

We bought our home Mar 27, 2009, in Arkansas, did major improvements, and then leased it out from Oct 1, 2010, though July 31, 2014.

We now have the place up for sale or will consider another lease because we bought another home in Oregon near the Grandkids.

Should we move back into the house and convert it back to our principal residence or is that a no-no/red flag to the IRS? We are both on fixed incomes and would like to minimize our tax liability.




There was a tax law change in 2008 you should be aware of, because it applies to situations just like yours. Beginning with the 2009 year, any period of nonqualified use (that would be renting out the property as you have done) followed by a period of qualified use (which would be using it as a residence again) results in the amount of excludable gain being reduced. The calculation is rather complicated and is based on the number of days the property was rented after January 1, 2009, until it was sold. You can find more information about this calculation in Publication 523 on the IRS’s website.

Congress put this procedure in place to prevent folks from owning a rental for a long period that is appreciating in value, and then moving into it for a couple of years in order to exclude all of the gain.

Only you can make this decision based on your tax situation and the personal factors you will need to weigh, such as living far away from your Grandkids for a couple of more years.

Deductibly yours,




David E. Du Val, EA
Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco


Dave Du Val, EA, is Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco. Inc., the parent company of TaxAudit, and Centenal Tax Group. A nationally recognized speaker and educator, Dave is well known for his high energy and dynamic presentation style. He is a frequent and popular guest speaker for the California Society of Tax Consultants, the California Society of Enrolled Agents and the National Association of Tax Professionals. Dave frequently contributes tax tips and information to news publications, including US News and World Report, USA Today, and CPA Practice Advisor. Dave is an Enrolled Agent who has prepared thousands of returns during his career and has trained and mentored hundreds of tax professionals. He is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, the National Association of Enrolled Agents and the California Society of Enrolled Agents. Dave also holds a Master of Arts in Education and has been educating people since 1972. 


Recent Articles

Woman looking in a parking space with her car missing
Since the government considers your vehicle to be just another piece of property, so is there a tax deduction for the theft of your car? Let's find out.
Private School Piggy Bank on a Calculator
There are some parts of the tax code that, in fact, can allow tuition fees to be fully deductible. However, in most cases you cannot deduct private tuition.
NOL form
If you suffered economic losses, you may have a net operating loss (NOL) on your taxes. Getting audited by the IRS for an NOL can be complicated.
You received an IRS notice CP162 in the mail. You are probably wondering why you received this notice and what it means – we are here to answer your questions.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.