What address should I use to mail my tax returns?

April 22, 2021 by Rhonda D. Guillory, EA
tax return in an envelope

My son is 17 years old and filed his 2020 taxes.. I don't know where to send the state and federal taxes to can you please give me an address?

Melissa, Oklahoma


Dear Melissa,


Thanks for your question, and congratulations on your son completing his 2020 tax return. The good news is that your son may have the option to file his tax return electronically if he used tax preparation software. Please be sure that both the federal and state tax return are filed when choosing to file electronically and to save a copy of the returns for your records.


As you complete a final review of the tax return before filing,I suggest you confirm that your son has answered the dependency question correctly. If your son was still a dependent in 2020, the “Someone can claim you as a dependent” box should likely be checked. Confirming this entry can reduce confusion for parents and dependent down the road.


The IRS encourages electronic filing to avoid processing delays. However, if electronic filing is not an option or desirable, you may find the address to mail your federal tax return by selecting your state on the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment. Due to an extension, the deadline to file your 2020 federal tax return is May 17, 2021.


Oklahoma’s 2020 tax filing and payment deadline has also been extended, and the deadline is June 15, 2021. The mailing address for individual Oklahoma state tax returns is:

Oklahoma Tax Commission

Post Office Box 26800

Oklahoma City, OK 73126-0800

Additional mailing addresses may be found on the Oklahoma Tax Commission website: https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/MalingAddresses.pdf


Best wishes, 

Rhonda Guillory

Tags: filing taxes



Rhonda D. Guillory, EA
Learning and Development Manager


Rhonda was a Seasonal Tax Return Reviewer at TaxAudit before joining the permanent staff as an Audit Representative in 2009. She has a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and worked in the Information Technology field for 15 years before making a career change. Since transitioning to the field of income tax in 2003, she has prepared and analyzed hundreds of tax returns. Rhonda enjoys helping taxpayers and tax professionals learn and understand the fascinating world of income taxes. Currently, she is the Learning and Development Manager.


Recent Articles

Grandmother driving Grandchild
My wife drives to transport our granddaughter to our house to watch for the day. Is this to-and-from mileage deductible as a job-related expense?
Net Operating Loss
When you prepare your federal income tax return, your business may incurre a loss. Here are the tax implications if you have suffered a net operating loss.
Man hitting button to enter parking structure
As a self-employed taxpayer, you can deduct your business-related parking fees as an expense on Schedule C, Profit and Loss from Business.
Capital Gains
I had investment capital losses of over 17,000 dollars, yet my Schedule D is only allowing a $3,000 loss. Can I take the additional losses in future tax years?
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.