6 tips for tax extension filers

July 01, 2018 by Selena Quintanilla
Tax Extension

Taxpayers who filed for an extension to file their 2017 tax returns should keep in mind that the extension deadline is October 15th, 2018. 

Below are some filing tips for extended filers:

  • Tax returns should be submitted no later than October 15th to avoid accruing penalties for late filing. 
  • Take time to revisit available credits and deductions. With so many available credits and deductions, it's easy to miss possible benefits. Additionally, many benefits for taxpayers who itemize will be dropping off with Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changes going into effect. Claim what you are entitled to while you still can.
  • Save a copy of your tax return!  Copies of tax returns and all supporting documents, especially those proving your entitlement to credits, should be retained for at least three years. Keeping detailed records can be beneficial for filing the following year's return and dealing with problem areas that may arise. 
  • Elect for direct deposit! If you're expecting a refund, the quickest and most secure way to receive your money is by having it dropped directly into your bank account. 
  • If you end up owing taxes, the IRS offers a few online payment methods that can save you processing fees. Though processing fees are usually no more than a few dollars, you can keep those few extra bucks to treat yourself to a post-tax filing treat.  
  • Military members are generally given at least 180 days after leaving a combat zone to file their returns and pay any tax due. If you or a family member are serving and need more information about this extension, please visit the IRS.gov

Tags: extension



Selena Quintanilla, CTEC
Communications Associate


Selena Quintanilla is a Communications Associate at TaxAudit, and a California Tax Education Council (CTEC) registered tax professional. She is now on a mission to bring clarity and comprehensibility to a topic that keeps us all up at night at least once a year-TAXES! Please, send coffee! 


Recent Articles

House for Sale
Details regarding the disposition of grouping of activities in order to more easily satisfy the material participation requirements for the RE Pro status.
Man opening a letter
IRS CP06A notice asks you to verify the Premium Tax Credit you claimed on your tax return with documentation. How should you properly respond to this notice?
Woman reading a letter and holding her phone
Notice CP14H is issued by the IRS to inform you of your unpaid shared responsibility payment that is due and to request that payment. How should you respond?
Man on phone while looking at a letter
IRS Notice CP21E informs taxpayers that an audit was recently done on their tax return and the IRS determined that those changes resulted in additional tax due.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.