An Extension to File is Not an Extension to Pay

April 01, 2014 by Karen Reed, EA
Tax Extension

If you cannot file your return by the due date, you can request an extension of time to file. But it’s important to keep in mind that filing for an extension of time to file does NOT give you an extension of time to pay your tax bill. If you do not pay by the due date, you will owe interest on any past-due tax, and in addition you may be subject to a late-payment penalty.

To receive an automatic six-month extension of time to file your tax return, file Form 4868 by the due date. It’s a good idea to include in the payment you send with your extension request any additional amounts you might owe.

The rules vary for state filing extensions. Check your state’s requirements.



Karen Reed, EA


During her years as an audit representative for TaxAudit, Karen successfully defended the company’s members throughout the entire federal and state audit processes, handled cases assigned to US Tax Court, and developed procedures to make the audit process easier for taxpayers. Karen attributes a great deal of her tax acumen to the six tax seasons she spent as a return reviewer, analyzing thousands of returns. Responding in writing to questions from taxpayers, she became familiar with the common mistakes self-preparers make. Karen was previously the manager of the Tax Education and Research Department and the Director of Communications at TaxAudit. Her tax advice has been featured in U.S. News and World Report, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, and other publications.


Recent Articles

Refund check laying on top of a $100 bill
An IRS Notice CP32A is informing you that your refund check has not been claimed. To resolve this notice, you must call to request a new refund check.
Woman Reading Letter
IRS Notice CP21C is sent out when a taxpayer requests to make a change to their tax return. The notice informs the taxpayer that the change has been completed.
House for Sale
Details regarding the disposition of grouping of activities in order to more easily satisfy the material participation requirements for the RE Pro status.
Man opening a letter
IRS CP06A notice asks you to verify the Premium Tax Credit you claimed on your tax return with documentation. How should you properly respond to this notice?
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.