Are college expenses like room and board tax deductible?

June 25, 2014 by Dave Du Val, EA
stacked books, diploma, and graduation hat

Hey Dave,

We adopted our grandson three years ago - he is now a freshman in high school. When he goes to college, will his tuition be tax deductible? Any other college expenses, like room and board?




You are very smart to start planning now!  Your grandson’s eligible expenses may qualify you for an education credit or deduction if you meet all of the requirements. The one that usually provides the biggest tax break is the American Opportunity Credit (AOC). Qualified expenses for the American Opportunity Credit include tuition at an eligible institution, books and required supplies, but not room and board, medical expenses, insurance, etc. There are currently income limits of $180,000 for married taxpayers filing jointly, and $90,000 for those using the single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) statuses.

An eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, vocational school, or other post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education. This includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit and privately-owned–for-profit post-secondary institutions. Here’s a link to help you determine if you qualify for the AOC.

There are other education credits and deductions, each with its own rules. To determine which one would be most beneficial for you, we would recommend that you review IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.


Deductibly Yours,




David E. Du Val, EA
Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco


Dave Du Val, EA, is Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco. Inc., the parent company of TaxAudit, and Centenal Tax Group. A nationally recognized speaker and educator, Dave is well known for his high energy and dynamic presentation style. He is a frequent and popular guest speaker for the California Society of Tax Consultants, the California Society of Enrolled Agents and the National Association of Tax Professionals. Dave frequently contributes tax tips and information to news publications, including US News and World Report, USA Today, and CPA Practice Advisor. Dave is an Enrolled Agent who has prepared thousands of returns during his career and has trained and mentored hundreds of tax professionals. He is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, the National Association of Enrolled Agents and the California Society of Enrolled Agents. Dave also holds a Master of Arts in Education and has been educating people since 1972. 


Recent Articles

Tax Returns, plant, and $100 bills laying on a desk
What happens if your spouse overstated the deductions claimed on the return or substantially understated the income?  Are you still liable for the tax due?
wedding cake split with man on one side and woman on the other
Alimony payments may indeed be tax deductible if the divorce or separation instrument under which they are made was executed prior to 2019.
Double Taxation written on notepad
Most states that have income taxes offer a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income, although how that credit is calculated is not identical.
File Cabinet with Documents
IRS notice CP05A is sent by the IRS to inform taxpayers that they need more information about the submitted income tax return before a tax refund can be issued.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.