Can I deduct funeral expenses?

December 21, 2020 by Steve Banner, EA, MBA

Saying our last goodbyes to a loved one is not only stressful in terms of one's emotional resources, but it can also be a significant strain on one's financial well-being. It's no wonder, therefore, that people often ask if funerals are tax-deductible. After all, medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of my late grandmother's adjusted gross income on Form 1040 can be deductible – and surely a funeral is a medical expense too?

Although this line of reasoning may sound logical to many of us, the tax law disagrees and does not allow a deduction for funeral expenses to be taken on the deceased party's final Form 1040. Nor on the Form 1040 of a relative or any other taxpayer who may have contributed towards paying the costs of the final farewell. According to the tax code, the only medical expenses that qualify for a deduction by a taxpayer are those that were used to prevent or treat a medical illness or condition.

But this is not to say that funeral expenses are never deductible. Funeral and burial expenses can be deducted if they were paid out by the estate of the deceased person. This would happen when the executor or other person responsible for settling the deceased party's estate wants to reduce the estate's overall taxable income. In such cases, the deductible expenses may include expenses such as mortuary, cremation, cemetery, tombstone, burial lot, flowers, luncheon, clergy, and so on.

However, most estates never actually use this deduction since the value of most estates is less than the amount that is subject to tax. But for estates valued above $11.4 million in 2019 or $11.58 million in 2020, deducting funeral expenses on the estate's Form 706 tax return would result in a tax saving.

In other words, our own funeral expenses are not deductible on Form 1040, but if we work hard enough (or hit the lottery), they may be deductible for our estate on Form 706!



Steve Banner, EA, MBA
Tax Content Developer


Steve Banner began his career in the field of income tax in 1977 and has since gathered business experience in a variety of countries and cultures. In addition to the United States, he has lived and worked for extended periods in Australia, Saudi Arabia, Canada, and Sweden. Along the way he studied Adult Education and earned a Bachelor of Education, Master of Educational Administration, and MBA. He joined TaxAudit in 2016, where he is a Tax Content Developer.


Recent Articles

House with money stacks next to it
I'm inheriting $44,000 from my father's house being sold in New York. I just want to know how much tax, if any, would I have to pay in South Carolina. Thank You
Woman reading a letter on a phone
IRS CP23 letter notifies you of a change to your return due to a difference between the amount of estimated tax payments and the amount posted to your account.
Stack of books, graduation hat, and rolled up diploma
There are some tax-saving opportunities available for graduate school tuition, like the credits for undergraduate expenses. They each have some limitations.
Woman Reading Letter
The IRS sends out a CP14 notice to notify a taxpayer when they have unpaid taxes and/or penalties and interest. What should you do if you get a CP14?
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.