Four Tax Tips for Gamblers

September 01, 2016 by Charla Suaste
man playing poker

Gambling – it can be as simple as picking up a single lottery ticket, playing the penny slots in Vegas, or taking numbers during a horse race. Many of us have participated in some type of gambling and there are those who even consider it to be a favorite pastime!

However, whether you’re a seasoned gambler or are fairly new to this type of activity, there are a few things you should know about gambling and how it can affect you when tax time rolls around:

  1. No matter how much you consider gambling to be a fun activity, you still have to report any and all winnings on your tax return. Some people make the mistake of thinking that, if they do not receive a Form W-2G, they do not have to report their winnings to the IRS. Unfortunately, this could not be further from the truth! While it is the payer’s responsibility to issue this form, there is always a chance something could fall through the cracks. At the end of the day, the IRS will hold you responsible for any unreported income not documented on your return.
  2. While gambling “income” sounds like it pertains strictly to cash winnings, it also applies to non-cash profits – such as cars and trips – and the cash value of those items need to be reported as income on your tax return as well.
  3. Typically, gambling winnings should be listed on the “Other Income” on line 21 of your Form 1040.
  4. Gains and losses must be tallied separately by “session” within a taxable year; they cannot be netted all together.
  5. Receipts are your best friend. I know – they don’t SOUND as exciting as your best friend. But come tax time, you’re going to be thankful for documentation that will clearly chronicle all your gambling losses and winnings. That way, if Uncle Sam ever does come knocking at your door, you’ll have solid proof to back up all the numbers listed on your tax return.

For more tips about reporting gambling winnings and losses to the IRS, please visit

Tags: gambling



Charla Suaste
Communications Content Developer


Charla Suaste joined TaxAudit back in 2007 and, over the past 14 years, she has worked in a variety of different roles throughout the organization, including as a Customer Service Representative, Case Coordinator, and Administrative Services Assistant. She now serves as the Communications Content Developer and is passionate about writing, editing, and making even the most complex concepts easy to understand. Outside of work, Charla enjoys traveling, listening to podcasts, and spending time in her garden.


Recent Articles

Tax Returns, plant, and $100 bills laying on a desk
What happens if your spouse overstated the deductions claimed on the return or substantially understated the income?  Are you still liable for the tax due?
wedding cake split with man on one side and woman on the other
Alimony payments may indeed be tax deductible if the divorce or separation instrument under which they are made was executed prior to 2019.
Double Taxation written on notepad
Most states that have income taxes offer a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income, although how that credit is calculated is not identical.
File Cabinet with Documents
IRS notice CP05A is sent by the IRS to inform taxpayers that they need more information about the submitted income tax return before a tax refund can be issued.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.