How do I find out if I owe the IRS money online?

April 08, 2021 by Samantha Lamb
Amount You Owe

The thought of owing the IRS money can be a scary thought – especially if you’re not sure you do! Thankfully, the IRS has provided tools to help taxpayers like you!

The best place to start is to utilize their Online Account tool, which is one of many useful tools that the IRS has added to their website in recent years. This tool allows you to:


  • Look up tax records
  • Determine whether or not you owe taxes – and view any amounts you possibly owe
  • Find out information regarding tax filing
  • Set up an online payment agreement and/or pay your taxes online
  • Review the past 18 months of payment history
  • View key tax return information for the most recent return you filed

Getting started is easy! You just need to register by visiting Secure Access – the IRS’ two-factor authentication process, which helps to protect your identity and personal information. Just make sure you review the Secure Access process prior to starting your registration – it contains important details about what information you will need to get started! (If you have already logged into Secure Access before, you can use the same username and password you previously used to access your online account.)

In the event you do owe money to the IRS, TaxAudit provides world-class Tax Debt Relief services to taxpayers across the country. Most people who owe money to the IRS or a state tax authority qualify for some sort of tax debt relief. That relief can come in different forms, such as preventing wage garnishment and helping you set up a payment plan. Others may benefit from a tax debt settlement. You may even qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief or a Penalty Abatement. There are many different solutions and our tax relief specialists will help you navigate the tax laws and regulations to find a solution that will work the best for your situation.

The most important thing to remember if you owe taxes is not to ignore it. We know that it can be stressful, daunting, and embarrassing having to face the IRS or a state taxing agency – and it can be tempted to avoid dealing with it for as long as possible. However, our tax relief specialists are here to help you through and get you to a better place in your financial life by helping you remove the IRS from it. Contact us today for a free consultation or check out our website for more information.

Do you owe money to the IRS or State?

Get Professional Help Now!

Tags: owe IRS

Recent Articles

Woman looking in a parking space with her car missing
Since the government considers your vehicle to be just another piece of property, so is there a tax deduction for the theft of your car? Let's find out.
Private School Piggy Bank on a Calculator
There are some parts of the tax code that, in fact, can allow tuition fees to be fully deductible. However, in most cases you cannot deduct private tuition.
NOL form
If you suffered economic losses, you may have a net operating loss (NOL) on your taxes. Getting audited by the IRS for an NOL can be complicated.
You received an IRS notice CP162 in the mail. You are probably wondering why you received this notice and what it means – we are here to answer your questions.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.