How to Make Your 2015 Donations Count

December 01, 2015 by Charla Suaste
Donation Box

The much-anticipated 2015 holiday season has finally arrived.

To some of us, it is a most magical time of year – one in which we celebrate ideals such as love, peace, and joy. To others, it is nothing more than a stress-fest, fraught with long lines and hectic parties, all fueled by commercialism. But, no matter what your opinion of the season might be, one thing is for sure: December is the most charitable month out of the 12 months of the year. One recent study by The Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University reports that nonprofits receive almost 25% of their annual donations during the holidays alone. Another survey by GuideStar shows that nonprofits receive a whopping 50% of their entire year’s donations during the holidays.

For those who fall into the category of “charitable giver,” here are three reminders from the IRS on how to make your 2015 charitable donations count come April 2016.

  1. Verify that the nonprofit to which you are donating is qualified to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions. If you’re not sure, the IRS website has an online search tool called “EO Select Check” that will help you determine whether or not the organization you care about qualifies for tax deduction purposes.
  2. Keep a detailed record of all donations you wish to deduct. This includes logs of what you donated to which organizations, copies of bank records, canceled checks, and credit card statements, as well as receipts from the nonprofit. (For more specific details about charitable donation record-keeping, please visit
  3. Remember that charitable gifts can still qualify for a deduction up until the very last day of the year! Even if you wait until December 31st to get your donations in, you can still deduct them on your 2016 tax return.

This is only a brief summary of the IRS’s numerous requirements in regard to charitable giving. If you have any questions or concerns – or would simply like more comprehensive information regarding this topic – please visit



Charla Suaste
Communications Content Developer


Charla Suaste joined TaxAudit back in 2007 and, over the past 14 years, she has worked in a variety of different roles throughout the organization, including as a Customer Service Representative, Case Coordinator, and Administrative Services Assistant. She now serves as the Communications Content Developer and is passionate about writing, editing, and making even the most complex concepts easy to understand. Outside of work, Charla enjoys traveling, listening to podcasts, and spending time in her garden.


Recent Articles

Woman Reading Letter
An IRS CP16 typically informs you that the IRS believes a miscalculation or other error was made on your return, and they have adjusted your refund.
First Class Airfare seats
If you want to deduct your first-class airfares, be aware that the IRS may question you about these expenses and will make its decision based on each trip.
Person mailing letter
A CP75D is issued when the IRS needs you to verify your income and/or withholding. This could affect whether you receive a refund or owe the IRS additional tax.
Stroller with rolled up $100 bills
Yes, you can. Provided that the baby in question is your dependent, there is a whole host of tax benefits you can take advantage of to offset your expenses.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.