I'm a notary. How do I do quarterly estimated tax payments?

June 12, 2020 by David E. Du Val, EA

I am a notary Signing Agent, mobile notary. When doing quarterly payments, would I claim pay on month I do appt. or when I get paid? Do I minus expenses prior to paying the 30%?



From your question, it sounds like you are making quarterly estimated tax payments to pay your taxes on the income you are receiving from your notary income, which is not subject to withholding. In addition to self-employment income, other income to consider when making estimated payments includes earnings from interest, dividends, rents, and alimony (if subject to income taxes, but that’s another story). Taxpayers who do not choose to have taxes withheld from other taxable income should also make estimated tax payments.

We have a “pay as you go system,” which means the government wants its share of your income when you earn it. To avoid a huge tax bill at the end of the year or a penalty for underpayment, you can elect to use estimated payments. You can base your estimated payments on your prior year’s tax bill, and you can also vary the amount paid each quarter based on the income you receive for that quarter.

The estimated payments should be based on your effective tax rate, which is the average rate at which your income is taxed. It is not necessarily 30%. A good approach would be to use the information from last year’s taxes and to determine what your likely rate will be for the current year.

Deductibly Yours,



David E. Du Val, EA
Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco


Dave Du Val, EA, is Chief Compliance Officer for TRI Holdco. Inc., the parent company of TaxAudit, and Centenal Tax Group. A nationally recognized speaker and educator, Dave is well known for his high energy and dynamic presentation style. He is a frequent and popular guest speaker for the California Society of Tax Consultants, the California Society of Enrolled Agents and the National Association of Tax Professionals. Dave frequently contributes tax tips and information to news publications, including US News and World Report, USA Today, and CPA Practice Advisor. Dave is an Enrolled Agent who has prepared thousands of returns during his career and has trained and mentored hundreds of tax professionals. He is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, the National Association of Enrolled Agents and the California Society of Enrolled Agents. Dave also holds a Master of Arts in Education and has been educating people since 1972. 


Recent Articles

Tax Returns, plant, and $100 bills laying on a desk
What happens if your spouse overstated the deductions claimed on the return or substantially understated the income?  Are you still liable for the tax due?
wedding cake split with man on one side and woman on the other
Alimony payments may indeed be tax deductible if the divorce or separation instrument under which they are made was executed prior to 2019.
Double Taxation written on notepad
Most states that have income taxes offer a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income, although how that credit is calculated is not identical.
File Cabinet with Documents
IRS notice CP05A is sent by the IRS to inform taxpayers that they need more information about the submitted income tax return before a tax refund can be issued.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.