IRS Letter 4800C | Change Proposed to Your Tax Return

May 12, 2023 by Charla Suaste
Person opening letter

So, you've received an IRS letter 4800C and aren't sure what steps to take to resolve it. Well, never fear because TaxAudit is here!

First, let's talk about what this notice means and what information you should be looking for – and then we'll talk about what you need to do to resolve this issue.

What is an IRS Letter 4800C?

This type of letter is typically asking for verification of items you claimed on your tax return, such as credits, wages, and withholding. The IRS has sent you this letter because they believe there is a discrepancy between what you filed and the records they have obtained regarding this tax return.

What should I do?

The first thing you need to do when you receive any type of notice from the IRS (or state taxing agency) is read it from top to bottom. Even if you do not understand what the notice says, it is important to note any important details, such as the date on the notice, the tax year in question, the deadline by which you need to respond, etc. You should also note any documentation that the IRS is requesting because you may need to start gathering it in preparation to respond if you disagree with the changes.

The next thing you should do is verify that you did, in fact, file a tax return. If you did not file your tax return, it is possible that someone else used your information to file fraudulently. In this case, you will need to contact the IRS right away to find out what your next steps should be.

If you did file your tax return, you should find your copy of it, along with all your supporting documentation. Compare the numbers on your supporting documentation to your filed return to see if they match up – and then compare them again with the IRS notice.

What if I agree with the notice?

If it appears the IRS notice is correct, you will need to pay the amount listed on the notice. If you are unable to pay the amount all at once, you can enter into an installment agreement, which allows you to pay your tax bill over time.

What if I disagree with the notice?

If you disagree with the notice, you should submit the requested documentation as soon as possible to the IRS via mail or fax. Follow up with them regularly to make sure they received it; however, please note that it could take the IRS weeks – or even months – to review your response and reply back to you, so you may have to be patient and persistent.

How can TaxAudit help me?

The other thing you should do if you have an Audit Defense membership with TaxAudit is to call us right away. Whether you agree with the notice or not, we can have one of our world-class tax professionals assigned to your case. They will look at your notice and tax return and determine the best course of action. If it turns out the IRS notice is incorrect, they will work with the taxing agency on your behalf to make sure you pay no more tax than you rightfully owe – or receive any refund you are rightfully due. This includes making phone calls, submitting documentation, attending appointments, etc. Representation will save you the headache of having to deal with the IRS and knowing that you have an expert tax professional working on your behalf.

If you don't have a membership with TaxAudit, now is the time to consider getting one so you never have to face the IRS alone! Visit our website or call our Customer Service Team at 800.922.8348, and they will be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Tags: 4800C, IRS letter



Charla Suaste
Communications Content Developer


Charla Suaste joined TaxAudit back in 2007 and, over the past 14 years, she has worked in a variety of different roles throughout the organization, including as a Customer Service Representative, Case Coordinator, and Administrative Services Assistant. She now serves as the Communications Content Developer and is passionate about writing, editing, and making even the most complex concepts easy to understand. Outside of work, Charla enjoys traveling, listening to podcasts, and spending time in her garden.


Recent Articles

Double Taxation written on notepad
Most states that have income taxes offer a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income, although how that credit is calculated is not identical.
File Cabinet with Documents
IRS notice CP05A is sent by the IRS to inform taxpayers that they need more information about the submitted income tax return before a tax refund can be issued.
Father and son baking cookies
You received an IRS CP87A because someone else filed a tax return and claimed the same dependent or qualifying child that you claimed on your tax return.
Man worried about money
Per the collection statute expiration date, the IRS generally has 10 years from the date they assess your tax balance to collect taxes owed.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.