Is a water leak damage and repair deductible?

April 29, 2022 by Carolyn Richardson, EA, MBA
water damage in a home

We had a water leak in our home. A couple of different companies came to do the clean up and used chemicals which caused us to get rid of our clothing, bedding, and furniture. Is this deductible?

-Ken, VA

Hello Ken,

Thank you for submitting your question. You asked if you could deduct the cost of clothing, bedding, and furniture that were ruined due to chemicals used by clean up companies after you experienced a water leak in your home. We’re sorry to hear about the damage the leak caused, and hope that everything is back to normal for you.

As you may already be aware, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA) limited when individual taxpayers can claim a casualty loss (such as damage caused by a leak in their home). Generally, for tax years 2018 through 2025, taxpayers can only deduct casualty losses that occur due to a federally declared disaster. These types of events are usually due to large natural disasters, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, windstorms, or earthquakes. Virginia, the state you are located in, conforms to this change in the federal tax law, which means they will likewise only allow a deductible casualty on your state return if it was federally declared as a disaster.

You may want to take a look at our blog here for more detailed information on the particular rules involved. You don’t mention that your leak was caused by a major event such as this, so we assume that your water leak was caused by something else, such as a leaking or burst pipe or hose. If this is the case, it’s unlikely you have a deductible casualty loss; however, there may be some exceptions.

If you used a portion of your home for business – such as a home office – that portion of your home is considered to be business property, and business casualty losses were not suspended by the TCJA. In this case, your loss would be limited to the loss of any furniture or fixtures in the office that were damaged either by the water or cleanup process. For example, if your desk or computer equipment were damaged, then the loss would equal the fair market value of the items immediately before the casualty, less the fair market value immediately after the casualty. This would then need to be reduced by any insurance reimbursement.

It’s unlikely that most of your loss is deductible on your taxes, though, unless it occurred because of a federally declared disaster. If you have hazard insurance on your home, you should file a claim with your insurance company for the damage caused by the leak. In many cases, damages caused by a water leak are covered by your homeowner’s insurance. This is one of the reasons we have homeowner’s insurance, right? Since water damage can be widespread and cause other problems, such as mold, mitigating the damage caused by a leak can be very expensive and time consuming. So, while you may not be able to deduct the loss, you may be able to recoup your costs through your insurance. A claim would have needed to be filed, even if the loss was incurred due to a federally declared disaster, as the IRS will not allow a loss that should have been covered by the insurance company.

We sincerely hope that you did not lose anything precious to you due to the leak, and that your recovery from this unfortunate event is rapid and complete.

Carolyn Richardson, EA, MBA



Carolyn Richardson, EA, MBA
Learning Content Managing Editor


Carolyn has been in the tax field since 1984, when she went to work at the IRS as a Revenue Agent. Carolyn taught many classes at the IRS on both tax law changes and new hire training. In 1990, she left the IRS for a position at CCH, where she was a developer on both the service bureau software and on the Prosystevm fx tax preparation software for nearly 17 years. After leaving CCH she worked at several Los Angeles-based CPA firms before starting at TaxAudit as an Audit Representative in 2009. Carolyn became the manager of the Education and Research Department in 2011, developing course materials for the company and overseeing the research requests. Currently, she is the Learning Content Managing Editor. 


Recent Articles

Tax Returns, plant, and $100 bills laying on a desk
What happens if your spouse overstated the deductions claimed on the return or substantially understated the income?  Are you still liable for the tax due?
wedding cake split with man on one side and woman on the other
Alimony payments may indeed be tax deductible if the divorce or separation instrument under which they are made was executed prior to 2019.
Double Taxation written on notepad
Most states that have income taxes offer a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income, although how that credit is calculated is not identical.
File Cabinet with Documents
IRS notice CP05A is sent by the IRS to inform taxpayers that they need more information about the submitted income tax return before a tax refund can be issued.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.