The Most Common Causes of E-filing Problems

March 01, 2015 by Karen Reed, EA

When your electronically filed tax return is rejected by the IRS, it can be frustrating. But, most of the time, there’s a simple explanation for the rejection, and the errors can be easily fixed.

The most common tax return rejections relate to errores in the entries of names (last names in particular), Social Security Numbers, birth dates, the prior year’s AGI (adjusted gross income) or e-filing PIN. If the information in the return does not match the Social Security Administration or IRS records, the return will be rejected by the IRS’s electronic filing system.

While all of the above errors are fixable, sometimes a tax return cannot be e-filed, period. The IRS requires that a return be mailed in if certain forms are included in your return, or if the same person appears as a dependent or taxpayer on more than one tax return in the current year. A W-2 with a blank box 1, or with box 16 of W-2 exceeding box 1, will also be rejected. In addition, you cannot electronically file prior year returns, amended tax returns, or returns which report no taxable income. Tax returns that were prepared using software overrides will need to be mailed to the IRS as well.

If, during your attempt to e-file, you learn that a tax return has already been filed using your Social Security Number, you may be a victim of tax identity theft. If you suspect this is the case, visit the IRS’s Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft for instructions on what to do and how to report it.



Karen Reed, EA


During her years as an audit representative for TaxAudit, Karen successfully defended the company’s members throughout the entire federal and state audit processes, handled cases assigned to US Tax Court, and developed procedures to make the audit process easier for taxpayers. Karen attributes a great deal of her tax acumen to the six tax seasons she spent as a return reviewer, analyzing thousands of returns. Responding in writing to questions from taxpayers, she became familiar with the common mistakes self-preparers make. Karen was previously the manager of the Tax Education and Research Department and the Director of Communications at TaxAudit. Her tax advice has been featured in U.S. News and World Report, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, and other publications.


Recent Articles

Stack of books, graduation hat, and rolled up diploma
There are some tax-saving opportunities available for graduate school tuition, like the credits for undergraduate expenses. They each have some limitations.
Woman Reading Letter
The IRS sends out a CP14 notice to notify a taxpayer when they have unpaid taxes and/or penalties and interest. What should you do if you get a CP14?
Woman Shopping for Over the Counter Medications
When it comes to medications, you can only deduct the amounts that you pay for medicines or drugs that have been prescribed for you by a doctor.
April 2023 Calendar with Tax Day written on April 18th
In 2023 the tax returns are due April 18th for most taxpayers. However, if you live in California, Alabama, or Georgia your taxes may be due at a later date.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.