Haven’t Gotten that Tax Return Filed Yet? Here are 3 Tips to Help!

May 01, 2016 by Charla Suaste
Tax Return with $100 bills, calculator, and pin

Life happens to the best of us. And while we know that the April 18th filing date has come and gone, we also know there are some folks who simply didn’t have the time or resources to fill out that tax return and get it submitted by the deadline. If you happen to be one of them, you are certainly not alone; there are thousands of taxpayers who miss the filing cutoff every year. That being said, those tax returns aren’t going to file themselves! So we wanted to help out by offering up a couple tips that might motivate you to get those tax returns’ bags packin’.

  • Tip #1: Take advantage of “IRS Free File.” If your income is below $62,000, all you have to do is fill out a brief form on IRS.gov and you will be directed to a list of all the free tax preparation programs available to you. (State returns may or may not be included. Be sure to read the terms and conditions of each preparation program carefully to ensure you are choosing the one that best fits your needs.)
  • Tip #2: File that tax return ASAP. If you do owe additional taxes to the IRS, procrastinating only means that additional penalties and interest will be added onto your original bill. However, it’s also possible that you may just be due a refund that you’re not expecting. Either way, filing sooner will always benefit you in the long run.
  • Tip #3: If the filing of your tax return does result in an additional amount due, make use of IRS Direct Pay. It is easily accessible via IRS.gov and is the most convenient and secure way to provide payment to the IRS.

If you’d like more information on how to make the filing process a little bit easier, make sure to visit IRS.gov and take advantage of all the resources they have available for taxpayers like you.

Tags: tax filing



Charla Suaste
Communications Content Developer


Charla Suaste joined TaxAudit back in 2007 and, over the past 14 years, she has worked in a variety of different roles throughout the organization, including as a Customer Service Representative, Case Coordinator, and Administrative Services Assistant. She now serves as the Communications Content Developer and is passionate about writing, editing, and making even the most complex concepts easy to understand. Outside of work, Charla enjoys traveling, listening to podcasts, and spending time in her garden.


Recent Articles

Fresh Start Ahead
If you’re struggling with back taxes, you may be able to qualify for assistance under an IRS initiative called Fresh Start. Here are 3 ways to be eligible.
Couple looking at financial paperwork
Yes, the length of time the IRS is allowed to collect a tax debt is generally limited to 10 years. Is waiting out this period a strategy for resolving tax debt?
Back Taxes
When a taxpayer fails to file their return, the IRS will come knocking usually in the form of a notice of tax due for back taxes. Back tax help is available.
Innocent Spouse Relief Form
If you qualify, Innocent Spouse Relief can help remove or particialy remove a tax burden from an innocent spouse.
This blog does not provide legal, financial, accounting, or tax advice. The content on this blog is “as is” and carries no warranties. TaxAudit does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, and completeness of the content of this blog. Content may become out of date as tax laws change. TaxAudit may, but has no obligation to monitor or respond to comments.